Who likes packing? Whether this is your first big trip or you have traveled half the world, it’s always helpful to have a list of items you want to bring. Save this printable packing list to refer to it as you travel the world and explore new destinations.
Many people wonder how can I afford to travel so much. Read my article about how you can get round trip flights for under $200 here.
Start by Picking an Inexpensive and Durable Suitcase
If your suitcase is for flying, check the weight limits for your airline. If you are going on a road trip, make sure your suitcase will fit comfortably into the trunk of your car.
Get a Spinner Suitcase
Spinner suitcases are easier to roll and don’t put as much stress on your shoulders or back. Plus, they’re easier to maneuver.
Pick a Bright Suitcase
If you get a yellow or blue suitcase, you will not be able to lose it and it will be easy to identify if lost. It will save you a lot of trouble, plus who doesn’t want a bright suitcase?
My favorite Suitcases on Amazon:
All of these suitcases have outstanding reviews, are lightweight and good quality products. They average at about $100 but will serve you for many many trips to come!
Packing Light? Use my Carry-on Only Packing List!
Printable Packing List: Clothing Travel Checklist
Now that you have picked a suitcase and are ready to start packing, I listed clothing necessities you don’t want to forget. Of course, I understand that since duration of the trip can vary, no size will fit all. Feel free to take anything out of this list or add more as you wish!
Clothing Items to Bring When You Travel
Be sure to pack several clothing options according to your planned activities. If you are going to the mountains, be sure to grab the necessary hiking gear. If you are going to a city, be ready to walk a lot during the day, but have something more fashionable for the evening. Don’t take uncomfortable shoes with you when you travel. No one likes to travel when your feet are in pain.
- Lightweight clothing that can be layered
- Long-sleeved shirts
- Sweater or jacket (depending on the weather)
- Pants and/or shorts (depending on the season)
- Dresses and/or skirts
- Walking shoes
- Scarf (in case you visit a church or get cold)
- Rain jacket or umbrella
- Toiletry Bag
Printable Packing List: Toiletry Bag Checklist
If you’re flying, make sure to put your toiletry bag in your checked luggage. You can not bring liquids, gels, aerosols, creams, and pastes 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less per container in your carry-on. Put them in a 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag. Read these TSA rules before you start packing to avoid any problems.
Pack these essentials in your toiletry bag:
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss
- Hairbrush, hair ties, and bobby pins
- Conditioner (could be provided in the hotel)
- Sunscreen and face lotion with SPF
- Face wash and/or makeup remover wipes and q-tips
- Personal hygiene items
- Contacts and solution
- Prescription medicine with the label
- Personal mini mirror
- Hair products
- Nail clippers and tweezers (also in checked luggage)
Travel First Aid Kit
- First aid kit (bandages, gauze, adhesives, etc.)
- Cold medicines and throat lozenges
- Diarrhea/laxative medicines
- Allergy medicines
- Hydrocortisone cream/antibacterial ointment
- Sunburn relief
- Insect repellent/mosquito net/sting reliever
- Motion sickness pills or bands
- Eye drops
Printable Packing List: Carry-On Bag
It’s a good idea to make sure you have a few clothing items and a few essential toiletries in your carry-on just in case your luggage is lost. A carry-on bag is easy to access and you don’t have to get into your luggage each time you need something. Don’t overpack your carry-on, since you will be carrying it with you.
Here are some ideas for your carry-on bag packing list:
- Personal ID/Student ID card – If you’re a student, some companies offer discount cards to help you save when you are travelling
- Frequent flyer cards and other loyalty program cards
- Cash and debit/travel credit cards – Call your bank before you travel to inform them (otherwise they might turn off your account)
- Travel and health insurance documents
- Reservations and itineraries – print them or save them electronically for easy access
- Hotel and/or tour contact information
- Cell phone and charger
- Travel apps with language, directions, and money conversion
- Laptop, iPad, and chargers
- Headphones ( I always wish I had headphones when I travel)
- Camera, memory card and chargers
- Adapters (if you are traveling internationally)
- Travel pillow, blanket, and earplugs
- A pen (always grab a pen when you travel)
- Chapstick and lotion
- Refillable water bottle – you can fill it up for free once you get through security
Download a pdf. version of this Packing List and use this SMART, PRINTABLE, and EDITABLE PACKING LIST!
Travel Hacks Before You Go
- Double-check that your passports and IDs aren’t expired.
- Inform your bank if you’re traveling abroad so they don’t freeze your credit card.
- Email yourself a copy of your passport, driver’s license, medical cards, and itinerary, so if anything happens to them you’ll be able to access them online.
- To prevent pick-pocketing and stay safe, keep your valuables underneath your clothing. Check out this Money belt, neck wallet, or a Bra Stash to keep your valuables close to your body and away from pickpockets.
- Plan your activities beforehand so that you’re bringing everything you need in your luggage.
- Save this Printable packing list to refer to as you are packing.
Wherever you are traveling, I hope you have an amazing adventure! Avoid these travel mistakes along the trip and enjoy it!
Tell me: What are some of the things that you can’t go without when you travel? Let me know in the comments below!
April 16, 2018
This is super good ha, I need this laminated somewhere in my house.
April 16, 2018
Thank you thank you thank you for writing this! I always feel like I’m forgetting something when I pack and then I have this horrible feeling as we drive away from the house that I REALLY forgot something. I’ve even tried making a list but I always feel like I’m missing something from the list. So this will help me out so much!
April 18, 2018
This is extremely helpful. Sometimes when traveling our focus is to head to the destination that we sometimes forget the travel essentials
April 19, 2018
I need this for when i go out of town, great idea for a blog post.
April 19, 2018
April 19, 2018
I second the spinner suitcase! I did NOT get one the last time I invested in a suitcase, and I regret it every single time I use it!
April 27, 2018
Great list! Very helpful. Thanks for sharing ♥️ ♥️ By any chance you are interested on doing collaborations, you can check out the collaborations portal of Phlanx.com and connect with amazing brands!
April 29, 2018
This is very helpful indeed! Packing has always never been my strong suit and I always seem to forget something!!!
May 24, 2018
I love the list! I always forget a few things when I have to pack to go on a trip and having a list is always a must.
May 24, 2018
That packing list is great to have and awesome tips on what to pack. I usually place my suitcase open in my room at least 2-3 weeks before the trip. During those weeks I dump items that I’ll need thus avoiding forgetting something.
May 29, 2018
This is a very nice article with a bunch of very beautiful thoughts.
September 24, 2018
Thanks for giving me this super duper great tips!! I know how to pack my bag next time!!!
November 25, 2018
Great to have a packing list on hand. This is such an adorable packing list. Thanks for the share!
July 22, 2019
Very interesting points you have remarked, appreciate it for putting up.